Wigs are either created from natural hair or man-made fibers such as plastic or acrylic. They are created in such a way that they give a realistic look, beautifully meeting your hair goals. Today, most of the human hair and synthetic wigs available in the market are heat-resistant. This means you can easily curl or flatten your wig hair in just a few minutes! Isn’t that amazing?
But this brings along the responsibility of taking the right care of these hairpieces. So how to maintain these wigs to uphold their rich sheen and style? The answer is this how-to guide that will help you maintain your heat-resistant wig in just 5 simple steps:
Step 1- Wig Preparation:
- Put your wig on the wig stand and gently remove the knots.
- You can also use a wig brush with a rare-tooth comb to de-tangle the hair strands.
- Make sure that you don’t pull the hair with a fine-toothed brush.
Step 2- Cleanse and Condition Your Wig:
- Once you have de-tangled the hair strands completely, now it’s time to cleanse and condition your wig.
- Dampen your wig in running water and use the shampoo as suggested by your hairstylist.
- Make sure that you are gently washing the hair in the same direction. Don’t rush and rub as this will cause tangles and brittleness in your wig.
- After this, rinse your wig with cool water or under the running tap.
- Don’t use a blow dryer directly to dry up your hair. Instead, place the wig in a clean towel and gently pat dry.
- Put your wig on the wig stand or a soft cloth to let it dry naturally
- Once the wig is dry, comb it with a wide-toothed comb or wig brush to de-tangle a few knots. Lastly, apply or spray 5 to 6 drops of conditioner and leave it.
Step 3- Drying with Styling Tools:
- Your heat-friendly wig can resist a particular amount of heat depending on the quality and the brand of your wig.
- Once your wig is naturally dry, use the blow dry or surf spray to make the hair look bouncy and voluminous.
- The highest quality of the heat-resistant wig can withstand up to 270°-280° F heat.
- Make sure that you apply smooth detangling spray so that your hair doesn’t lose its original charm and luster.
- A quick tip: Professionals always suggest to use top-notch heat styling tools with the in-build function of digital temperature settings to control heat.
Step 4- How to Perm (Curl) Your Wig:
- Comb your hair with a wide-toothed comb and ensure there are no tangles or knots.
- Leaving 2-3 inches from the base, iron the wig with the curling iron or hot rollers. Make sure you don’t touch the wig cap with a heated iron as it can damage the cap construction.
- Hold the hair between your curling iron for more than 10-15 seconds and release the curl into your palm or on an apron.
- Once a particular part of the hair is curled up, gather them, and pin them up with a clip carefully.
- And now, when you have completely curled the wig, remove the clip and wear your wig.
Step 5- How to Straighten Your Wig:
- Comb the hair thoroughly and part sections of 1.5-2 inches.
- Spray 2 to 3 pumps of Thermal Spray on each section to protect it from dryness and heat.
- Once this is done, gently start straightening the hair from the roots, section wise.
- Put your wig on the wig stand for 5-10 minutes and allow the style to set.
- Make sure the temperature of your straightener or flat iron is not more than 350° F. You can even seek professional help to get your hair styled at a nominal price.
Conclusion: If chosen rightly, heat-friendly synthetic wigs can give you a sophisticated look with that realistic appearance. You just need to maintain them like your own hair to preserve their beauty. Ladies, it’s time for wig rejuvenation!