Salvatore acted instinctively to get out of the house and save his mum’s life
A woman has spoken of her shock at discovering a five-year-old boy outside her house clutching his baby sister in his arms and saying his mum had died – which ended up saving her life.
Jessica Penoyer opened the door to terrified Salvatore Cicalese, who had scooped up his two-month-old sibling and made his way out of their home after his mum had a seizure in the shower.
Salvatore had dragged a bar stool to the garage door so he could climb up and flip the switch and proudly says he fell off it once before his second attempt was successful.
When the door opened, he wrapped his baby sister in a blanket and made his way to the neighbour’s house in to get help.
In a 911 call recording, Penoyer can be heard telling emergency services: “My neighbour’s son just came to my house and said that his mom was dead in the shower.”
The woman, who lives in Arizona, USA, told abc : “He’s standing there and he’s holding something and I thought it was a doll.”
Penoyer initially thought five-year-old Salvatore was telling her his dog had died but he corrected her, saying: “No, my mom died in the shower. Can you take care of us?”
Emergency services rushed to the house following her phone call and found Salvatore’s mother, Kaitlyn Cicalese, had suffered a seizure and fallen while showering – but she was still alive.
Kaityln told abc: “Honestly, he saved my life, because I was under the [tap] and if he wouldn’t have got help, I don’t know, I would have drowned.”
“Every day is a challenge for us. He asks me, probably, a billion times if I’m going to be OK.
“He’ll tell me, ‘are you going to have another seizure?’ ‘No, I’m okay.’ ‘Are you going to die today?’ ‘No, I’m not going to die today.'”
Brave Sal has since been recognised as an ‘honorary firefighter’ by his local brigade after his efforts saved his mum’s life.