Most contact wearers would probably say they have pretty good contact lens care habits. However, more than 80 percent of Americans believe they follow good lens care practices while only 2 percent actually do.1
To assess your contact lens care habits, answer “Yes” or “No” to indicate if you’ve ever done one of the following:
- Not thrown out my contacts at the recommended time
- Reused or topped off yesterday’s contact solution
- Added fresh contact solution to yesterday’s contact solution
- Cleaned my contact lens case with tap water only
- Rinsed my contacts with tap water only
- Put my contacts in my eyes without rinsing them
- Rinsed a contact lens by putting it in my mouth
If you answered “Yes” to even one of the above, it’s time to brush up on your contact lens care habits.
If you answered “Yes” to two or more of the behaviors above, it seems you may have picked up some poor contact lens care habits. Be sure to discuss proper contact lens care with your eye care professional during your next appointment. In the meantime, take a look at some important Do’s & Don’ts.