Sexy, smoldering, seductive, edgy and mysterious – these are the words that best describe smoky eyes. Creating the perfect smoky eye look lies in the perfect layering, making it look soft and blended. Although giving your eyes a smoky look is easy, it requires attention to detail and some patience to get the colors and the effect right. The standard smokey eye look is created by using heavy black or dark charcoal colors, but these days, deep hues of blue and purple are also being used to play with eye color and make your eyes look irresistible. Read through the following lines to find out the tips on how to create the perfect sexy, sultry smokey eyes.
Creating The Perfect Smoky Eye Look
Preparing Your Eyes
Apply a light shade of concealer to your under eye area and all over the top lid. This will prepare your eyes for the eye shadow, which will be applied in the next step.
Using an eye pencil, line both the top and bottom rims, while going close into the lash line. For small eyes, start applying the liner from the middle of the under eye to the outside of the eye. In case you have large eyes, you can freely apply the liner from one end to the other. While using liquid liner, place dots on the lash line and follow them to get the perfect straight line.
Add Eye Shadow
Soften the edges of the eye pencil line with a small eye shadow brush. Then, using a sponge-tip applicator, apply a dark shadow. Thereafter, smudge the shadow with the brush, over the penciled area. You can also use your finger tips to smudge the shadow. The eye shadow will soften the look and set the eyes.
The Final Touch
Using a larger eye shadow brush, apply a lighter shade in a neutral tone, encircling the entire area. Soften and graduate outwards, to get the perfect blended look. Thereafter, apply mascara.
Clear Up Your Eyes
Use a fluffy brush to brush away any eye shadow that has fallen on the lashes or below the eye. Clean up all the areas that have been smeared, with a q-tip or small eye shadow brush.
Finish With Your Lips
Lightly line your lips with a natural color, for a classic smoky eye look and add some sheer color in peach, caramel or nude pink. Apply some natural looking blush to your cheeks, to add color to your complexion.
- For a more dramatic look, apply 2 to 3 coats of black mascara.
- To make your eyes look larger and rounder, instead of pulling your liner out from the top liner, pull it upward, while lining your bottom lashes.
- Go for soft colors in brown and grey, if you have a fair complexion.
- To modernize your look and enhance your eye color, try color shades in blues, plums and greens.
- Avoid creating smoky eyes early in the morning. The effect is best used in a later evening or night party
- If you did not get enough sleep at night, smoky look is a bad option. Eye shadow will bring out the bags and lines under your eyes.
- For a bolder look, line your lips with a dark lip liner and fill them in with a deep color.