The human skin is blessed with natural oils, which are needed to keep it moist. However, if the naturally produced oils exceed their limit, it gives rise to what is commonly called ‘oily skin’. It could be because of hereditary factors, but if it is not a constant problem and you only get oily skin from time to time then it might be because of an imbalance in hormones. Androgen hormone can be responsible for producing more than usual oil on the skin. This hormone generally acts up during puberty, before the onset of menstrual cycle, at the time of pregnancy and during menopause. Also, the consumption of oral contraceptives can trigger the hormones to produce more oil. And last but not the least, the ultimate whiplash, the by-product of modern lifestyle––stress. Stress can set off the production of cortisol hormone in the body, which is also responsible for skin’s excessive oil production. Oily skin is a common problem and the greasy nature of the skin often leads to the outburst of acne. Daily skin care routine is quintessential to control the over-production of oil by the glands in the skin. Check out the article and get some useful tips for treating oily skin.
- Wash your face with soap-free cleanser, which is specially made for oily skin. Stay away from creamy face washes, as it will leave oily residue on the skin, making it look oilier. Soap is not recommended as it takes away the essential natural oils from your skin.
- You want to control the excess of oil in your skin, but do not want to make it dry. To serve the purpose, use an alcohol-free toner. Dab a cotton ball, dipped in toner, onto your face in circular motion.
- Clay-based facial mask is the best for oily skin. Fuller’s earth is appropriate for this skin type, as it makes it soft and non-greasy.
- Apply a paste of uncooked oatmeal, mixed with one teaspoon of honey and half teaspoon of lemon onto your face. Leave it for fifteen minutes before rinsing your face with lukewarm water. Dry your face afterwards.
- In order to make your skin less greasy, wear sunscreen lotion or gel. Avoid using sunscreen creams as it would make your skin sticky.
- Wash your face with clear water 3 times a day. This will remove the layers of oil from your face. But do not over wash your face, especially with the face wash. It will leave your face too dry, which will compel your skin to produce more oil in order to keep itself naturally moisturized. You can instead use cleansing products that are not oily or creamy in nature, preferably water-based. This will not leave your skin excessively dry and also, do not forget to put moisturizer on your face every time after you wash it.
- Even though your skin is oily, you need to moisturize it. Apply very little quantity of oil-free moisturizer on your face. You may use baby talcum powder, to wipe off the greasy residue of the moisturizer.
- Choose appropriate make up for your skin. Stay away from liquid-based foundation, concealer, blush and eye-shadow, because they can make your face ‘shine’ with excess oil. Instead, go for powder-based products, which will dry up the excess oil and treat your pores.
- Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water daily to keep the skin hydrated. Also, take balanced diet in order to get rid of your oily skin problems. Oily skin is also a by-product of unhealthy eating. Too much intake of sugar, saturated fats and trans fats can lead to excessive production of oil in the skin. You should incline yourself towards eating more fresh vegetables and fruits. This will help your skin to look healthier and smoother by improving the production of sebum in your skin.
- You should avoid using skincare products that are alcohol-based because these products are designed for dry skin. If you keep applying alcohol-based products on your skin then it will make your skin produce more oil, which will leave your face looking greasy and oily. You can use water-based products instead as these are more fit to be used on oily skin. It will also reduce the gloss on your face.
- You can use a homemade facial scrub made out of apple and honey to get rid of clogged dirt and oil on your skin. This will also help you to get rid of blackheads and whiteheads that cause acne and pimples. You can mix a little bit of apple powder with honey and apply the paste on your face. Let it set for 20 minutes and then slowly rub it into your skin with the help of a warm washcloth. You can rinse it off with cold water.
- Aloe vera is considered to be one of the best ingredients used for skincare and hair care. It has a wonderful property to absorb excess oil from the skin. To get rid of the excess oil from your face you can apply aloe vera gel on to your face and let it set for a few minutes. When it is dry, you can wash it off with lukewarm water.