You don’t have to experience major breakouts or red rashes to have sensitive skin. Sensitive skin can mean anything from a slight stinging sensation to serious inflammation. People with sensitive skin may notice that the flesh starts to turn red or look irritated, even with the gentlest cosmetic products. This, of course, can present a major problem for any beauty routine. Luckily, a solution does exist for people with sensitive skin – hypoallergenic mineral makeup. Use this three-step guide to purchase authentic hypoallergenic makeup.
- Define “Hypoallergenic”
The terms “sensitive skin” and “hypoallergenic” have become overused because of the push toward healthier alternatives to harsh chemicals in makeup. While this isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it can make it more difficult to find and purchase cosmetic products that are truly good for sensitive skin. Even the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) states, “Hypoallergenic cosmetics are products manufacturers claim produce fewer allergic reactions than other cosmetic products.” The FDA does not govern the use of this term.
Unfortunately, zero federal regulation for the term “hypoallergenic” means virtually any cosmetic company can use this label on anything. The company does not have to support or prove its claims to the FDA to use this label. As a consumer, you can make sure you’re actually purchasing hypoallergenic products by reading ingredients lists. In general, cosmetics that are better for sensitive skin will not have mysterious chemicals or ingredients like talc. Instead, they will have infused minerals, pure pigments, and other ingredients geared toward reducing allergic reactions.
- Learn the Benefits of Mineral Powder Makeup for Sensitive Skin
Sensitive skin can suffer adverse reactions to chemicals, and even some natural botanical ingredients in cosmetics. Applying non-hypoallergenic makeup can result in acne breakouts, painful skin, swelling and inflammation, red skin, pigmentation, rashes, and other more serious allergic reactions. If this sounds like your skin, it doesn’t necessarily mean you have to give up makeup altogether. Use hypoallergenic and organic mineral makeup, and enjoy benefits such as:
- A healthier beauty routine. Non-hypoallergenic makeup can contain irritants like parabens, preservatives, chemical dyes, mineral oil, and fragrances. Applying these ingredients to your face cannot only result in skin irritation, but can also threaten your health and safety.
- No oil for acne-prone skin. Hypoallergenic mineral makeup doesn’t contain the oils that often lead to breakouts in acne-prone skin. Instead of aggravating oily skin, mineral makeup can absorb oil and eliminate bad reactions. Organic mineral makeup can also minimize skin conditions such as eczema and rosacea.
- Natural-looking finish. Mineral makeup isn’t just good for your skin – it also looks better than many other types. Mineral makeup is natural-looking, and doesn’t collect or cake in crevices like foundations that contain heavy talc.
Mineral powder makeup is an excellent choice for sensitive skin of all types. It is a healthier, more soothing solution than the harsh ingredients found in most non-hypoallergenic options. Remember, however, that the best mineral powder makeup comes from trusted brands. Almost any brand can market its makeup as “hypoallergenic.” It takes a company that’s committed to the health and safety of its consumers to sell truly trustworthy products.
- Find Where to Buy Organic Mineral Makeup
With everyone jumping on the hypoallergenic bandwagon, it can be hard to separate honest brands from profit-hungry ones. It may take a bit of digging to get to the bottom of what’s really in “hypoallergenic mineral makeup.” You may find that the item you were about to purchase actually contains elements known for irritating sensitive skin. Even something like “botanical extracts” can be a red flag for skin irritation.
Find a makeup company that doesn’t use ingredients like aluminum, talc, and bismuth oxychloride – common agents of painful and embarrassing skin reactions. Once you find a company you can trust, you may find its hypoallergenic mineral makeup lets you vamp up your beauty regime for the first time ever.