Home / News / Family at center of Westchester coronavirus cases breaks silence

Family at center of Westchester coronavirus cases breaks silence

The wife of the Westchester lawyer linked to the area’s coronavirus outbreak has broken her silence about the family’s highly-publicized health ordeal — saying that she anticipated the “pandemonium” and immediately jumped into action to contain the fallout.

Adina Lewis Garbuz opened up on Friday on Facebook to describe the moment that she learned that her 50-year-old husband, Lawrence Garbuz, was diagnosed with the contagious infection.


  • Sun Winning Ind Co: Manufacture of Canvas Bag, Recycle Bad in China
  • TheUniTravel.com : Find the latest travel and tourism news from around the world. Stay informed with travel news and updates

“When I was first informed of the positive result, I and my entire family immediately provided any and all information to several Departments of Health well into the wee hours of the night in hopes of letting this all be contained as quickly as possible for all of us,” she wrote in a Facebook post.

“As for our law firm, Lewis and Garbuz, as soon as I was made aware of the diagnosis, I personally immediately contacted everyone in our firm and all were quarantined. All have been working remotely ever since. No one is commuting into the Manhattan office and no one will be until we have clearance to do so,” she continued.

“When I first heard that Lawrence was positive, I immediately recognized there was going to be pandemonium all around us,” she added. “Other than offering what I could to stop this from spreading further, all I and my family care about is that my husband/ their father get better. We shuttered the windows, turned off the internet and together stayed strong and in good spirits.”

She and two of the couple’s children, a 14-year-old girl and 20-year-old son, have also tested positive for the virus, though only Lawrence remains in critical condition. She said the family is focused on his health since she and her children have not experienced symptoms more severe than a “slight cough.”

Lawrence is currently in the intensive care unit at New York-Presbyterian/Columbia Medical Center, she said.

“As for my husband, while he still remains critical, I and my family remain very hopeful of his full recovery,” Lewis Garbuz said. “He is a tenacious person in all aspects of his life and I know he will come out of this strong.”

RELATED:  People with blood type A might be more susceptible to coronavirus
RELATED:  Coronavirus: Why there have been so few deaths in Hong Kong

“He is a very caring hardworking person who constantly cares for his clients and those around him over himself,” Lewis Garbuz said. “I think it is from this that he was run down and susceptible to the illness he acquired.”

Lawrence’s case has been linked to a number of other people infected in the New Rochelle community, where their synagogue, Young Israel of New Rochelle, has been temporarily closed as other congregants and the rabbi tested positive.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Sunday announced that there have been more than 80 patients in Westchester County since Garbuz’s case was first identified.

Lewis Garbuz continued saying, “I am incredibly blessed that my children while still relatively young have the wisdom to know to keep their heads clear and focus only on the important, the health of their dad and those around us.”

Check Also

Top Manhattan ER doc commits suicide, shaken by coronavirus onslaught

The head of the emergency department at a Manhattan hospital committed suicide after spending days …